[G4] Re: New to me G4/OSX questions...

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat May 13 08:09:43 PDT 2006

> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 07:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kenn Engstrom <kennvfridr at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [G4] New to me G4/OSX questions...
> To: G4 List <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> Howdy all,
>
> I just snagged G4 from ebay (moving up from a Biege G3 MT running 9.1).
>  This a 500mhz Gigabit Ethernet, Dual Processor machine, and it came
> with a 38 gig HD, and a fresh install of 10.3.5, but no original
> setup/restore cd's.
>
> I've been using Mac's for a long time, but really know just enough to
> get myself into trouble...  :-)  ...and this is my first look at OSX.
> I think I want to install an OS 9 version so I can run some of my
> software in classic mode if necessary.  It's been my understanding that
> I need to have OSX in a partition, is that correct?  Can I just install
> OS 9 now, or will I need to start fresh and reinstall OSX?  Or, does
> the partition just come into play if I want to boot into 9.x.x?

Hello Kenn,

It is a very good move to install OS 9 with OS X when first making the
transition and using Classic Mode.

Yes, you can install and use OS 9 on your HD provided that the OS 9
drivers are already there.  Those drivers would be there if OS X was
installed without reformatting or if the person who installed it had
checked the little box in Disk Utility to install them after
reformatting.  Otherwise, it would be best to get yourself a set of
10.3 install disks, preferably the retail version, or a restore set for
your specific machine.  With the age of the HD, it would be advisable
to zero out the HD in order to map out any bad blocks.

Your machine does not require that you partition the drive for OS 9 and
X.  They can live just fine on the same volume/partition.  I believe
partitioning is necessary on your Beige G3.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.On May 12, 2006, at 10:35