[G4] Advice please

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Wed May 17 23:17:37 PDT 2006

Hi Listers,

A couple of questions...
I have a first gen QuickSilver that will get a dual 1.8GHz upgrade in the
near future, In the meantime, I plan to replace the CD drive with a Pioneer 111D,
a FW/USB2 card and a Sweet Multiport.

So, my questions are: Has anyone done any of this? OWC mentions "PERFORMANCE
REQUIREMENT: To achieve the specified writing and reading performance it is
important that the DVR-111D is connected to the IDE port via an 80 way ribbon
cable and that the IDE port is at least UDMA 66 or above." Does my QS have this
and if not, what do I need? I do have a MacSense SATA/IDE133 combo PCI card
installed.

I have a lot of photo scanning to do over the next year, and the progress bar
is still going while the scanner is returning to home position, so I assume
that going from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 should speed things up. As long as I'm
speeding up USB, why not FW? The unit I'm looking at is the  "SIIG FireWire 800
(1394B) + USB 2.0 PCI Combo Card - For Power Macintosh Blue & White G3 or Later
(SIINN8US212)" My question is, is it possible to get USB2.0 speeds and/or FW800
in OS9?

Please, no comments about using OSX. If you must comment to me about OSX, do
it directly (off list), and I'll explain to you why that doesn't work for me
for now. Thanks.

Anybody installed the Sweet Multiport and hooked it up to the 3rd party
USB/FW card so that they have USB2.0 and FW800 in the front of their G4.

STeve