[G4] Advice please

Tony Gamble tgamble180 at rogers.com
Thu May 18 06:37:02 PDT 2006

Steve,
	Apparently Apple's USB drivers were not written to support USB 2.0
until Mac OS X, so the card should work fine in OS 9, just at USB 1.1
speeds.  I doubt it will matter for scanning, though... I run a USB
scanner on my iBook with USB 2.0 ports and have noticed no difference
in scanning speeds.  I imagine the device itself must provide support
for USB 2.0 before you see any benefit from the matched port.
	As for the drive interface, yes, your machine is equipped with ATA/
66, but you'd be much better off connecting the new drive to that 133
combo card with an 80-wire cable.  Bear in mind, though, that
sometimes, some blank media will burn at slower speeds than stated on
their packaging, so don't be too quick to judge poor performance on
the drive.  I recently discovered this when I was attracted to a
great price on a Vakoss brand 8X DVD+R, which burned at 8X in my
Pioneer 107D on the G4 MDD, but only at a paltry 2X on my iBook's
Matsushita burner.

Tony