[G4] Installing OS9

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Thu May 25 09:18:18 PDT 2006

I can think of a VERY good reason to keep them separate!

When OS 9 and earlier crash, they can, and often enough do, make a mess of
the disk the OS resides on. This corruption is not always immediately
obvious.  Later, on, when you discover handfuls of cross-linked files...

In olden times (pre-X), I always set up our company Macs with separate
partitions for the System/Applications and for Data.  This way, when the
worst occurred, none of our work would be lost.

If you are to be a regular user of OS 9, this confers a second benefit. It
allows you to have separate System Folders for OS 9 and Classic mode. You
typically need a lot more stuff (drivers and third party extensions) running
the classic systems than you need in Classic mode, and this allows a super
lean Classic mode System Folder.

--
Robert MacLeay