[G4] Need to Re-Do Partitions

Jim Thornton jimthornton at mac.com
Sun May 28 22:39:29 PDT 2006

Hello!

I'm running OSX 10.4.6 on a Quicksilver 733 with two internal hard drives
(60 and 80GB) and an external FW/USB2 160GB drive.

I originally partitioned my two internal drives into two volumes each, but
now believe such partitioning was a mistake; I'm running out of space on
some of the volumes, since I sized them poorly. I would like to use the
external drive to temporarily hold the stuff from one of the internal drives
while I wipe the internal clean and turn it into a single partition, then
move the stuff (system, apps, and/or data) back onto the original drive --
after I turn it into a single volume.

Can this be done? (Seems like it would be doable, but I don't want to forget
something.)

I have ProSoft Engineering's Data Backup; perhaps I could just do a simple
"back up entire volume" to the external drive -- but what about restoring it
to a new/different volume than it came from?

I have one volume with OS9 on it, I'd want to keep this capability, although
I almost never boot into OS9. Another volume has OSX, my apps, and most of
my data on it. The other two volumes have just data. I have plenty of space
on the external drive.

Thanks for your help,

Jim Thornton