[G4] installin os9

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue May 30 22:02:43 PDT 2006

On 30 May, 2006, at 6:33:13, cerebus DaPope wrote:

> put in an os9 disk and turned it on pressing "c"
>  before i had a hard drive my cinema desplay would show a folder
> with a question mark
>  now its just black
>
> if i reboot, i get an image for a second
> then blackness
>
> i'm sure its waiting for me to do something
>  what should i be doing?

It is possible that your hard drive identification bridge (a little
plastic piece with a metal center) is on the wrong set of identifying
pins. The bridge should be on the "Master" set of pins if it is the
only hard drive that is installed in the machine.

Many drives have printed identifying marks on the circuit board
surface. For example, the letters "CS" and the words "Master" and
"Slave". Sometimes a Mac will refuse to see a hard drive if it is set
to be "Cable Select" instead of "Master" or "Slave".

This could be your problem, although I would have expected that you
would still have been seeing the folder with the question mark when
the drive was not recognized because of any identification mix-up.
This is the normal way that Macs tell us they do not have an active
operating system installed on their drive or that they cannot
recognize the drive.