[G4] flash drive question (again)

MegaSTMac at aol.com MegaSTMac at aol.com
Wed Nov 1 05:25:12 PST 2006

In a message dated 10/31/06 11:42:01 PM, ronsteinke at mac.com writes:

<< >  I move and or open OS9 files in 10.3.9 all the time with no
> confusion at all. I've done that within the same machine,

Which OS were you booted into at the time? IIRC, you said that you
were having the problem of viewing the files when you moved them to a
different machine?>>

It wasn't me that was having a problem, but another poster who said he
couldn't use files created in OS9 in OSX when he transferred them via a flash drive,
IIRC. I responded that I do it all the time. I can view files created in OSX
or OS9 in the other OS, "as long as I have a compatible program to view them
with".

<<If you took (by using a flash drive or CD) the file to a different
machine that didn't have the Classic environment installed, you would
have had to open the file in OS-X and had to re-save it a form that
would be recognized by the system.>>

 It makes no difference which OS I'm in. I can open and view the same PDF
file in OS9 or OSX with the appropriate Adobe Reader program. Same with
GraphicConverter, QuickStart Publisher, etc. I know it's a fine point, but it's not the
OS. It's the application that makes the difference. Maybe you are referring
to the creator code which tells the computer which program to open and use, for
that particular file. Even if you are referring to that, it's still not the
OS. Just now, (I'm running 10.3.9 right now) I double clicked on a graphic file
I saved/created in OS9. It's on my OS9 partition. I've never opened it in
OSX. The OSX version of GraphicConverter booted and opened the file.

<<The problem appears to me to be a disparity in OS versions on
different machines, but maybe I'm wrong on that point. >>

HTH
STeve