[G4] DP MDD 1.25 ghz built in ethernet (sort of) not working

C unclad at cox.net
Fri Nov 3 10:38:16 PST 2006

J.R.,

Thank you for the suggestion but I already gave that a try more times
than I can remember in the midst of trying everything else! I am
considering an Apple 10/100 PCI ethernet card on ebay for $1 so if I
have to use plan B it won't cost too much at least! Thanks again.

Casey
-----
Its not how much you earn, but how you spend it.

Contact:
2AzBoys at cox.net

> Hi there,
>
> I have a DP 1.25ghz  MDD and am having ethernet problems. The built in
> ethernet port is basically not working and extremely slow. Under
> System Preferences / Network / Network Status it shows the green dot
> and states that its active, gives the IP address and connected to the
> internet via built in ethernet. I am connected using DHCP. It will
> check mail (takes 5-10 minutes) but a web page takes forever to load
> if it even will at all.
>
> I have switched cables, reset PRAM and NVRAM, verified and repaired
> permissions, deleted all plists regarding network and the like,
> reconfigured it numerous times, and no luck. Do you think this is a
> software or hardware problem?
>
> This MDD is new to me from as I am upgrading from my G4 AGP Graphics
> (which worked perfect on the same ethernet cable)
>
> I have done everything I can think of and searched all sorts of blogs,
> articles, etc and can't seem to find a solution (other than installing
> a pci ethernet card). Anyone else ever encounter this problem? If I
> install an apple oem 10/100 pci ethernet card will it work at the same
> speed as the built in? Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Casey

Casey, it sounds to me like your modem or router needs to be reset.

Power it/them off for about 30 seconds, them power them back on - you
may need to restart your computer as well.

Try this before spending bucks on PCI cards.  It's the cheapest fix you
can do.

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics
305 Wells Fargo Dr., Suite 4