[G4] DP MDD 1.25 ghz built in ethernet (sort of) not working

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Fri Nov 3 11:18:48 PST 2006

C wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a DP 1.25ghz  MDD and am having ethernet problems. The built in
> ethernet port is basically not working and extremely slow. Under System
> Preferences / Network / Network Status it shows the green dot and states
> that its active, gives the IP address and connected to the internet via
> built in ethernet. I am connected using DHCP. It will check mail (takes
> 5-10 minutes) but a web page takes forever to load if it even will at all.
>
> I have switched cables, reset PRAM and NVRAM, verified and repaired
> permissions, deleted all plists regarding network and the like,
> reconfigured it numerous times, and no luck. Do you think this is a
> software or hardware problem?
>
> This MDD is new to me from as I am upgrading from my G4 AGP Graphics
> (which worked perfect on the same ethernet cable)
>
> I have done everything I can think of and searched all sorts of blogs,
> articles, etc and can't seem to find a solution (other than installing a
> pci ethernet card). Anyone else ever encounter this problem? If I
> install an apple oem 10/100 pci ethernet card will it work at the same
> speed as the built in? Thanks in advance for your help.

Make sure you've got the latest firmware available for your router.

Also, sometimes when I reboot my router it freaks out and thinks my Mac
is trying to spoof another computers MAC address.  Resetting the
router's DHCP server and releasing/renewing the IP lease on the Mac
clears that up.  Also, when I put name in the network settings window (I
forget exactly what that screen calls it, and I'm not on my Mac right
now) my Mac reports 2 different MAC addresses to the router.  Bizarre.

Anyway, make sure the latest firmware is installed, reset the router's
DHCP service, release/renew the IP lease on your MDD, and clear any name
from that box if there's one there.

--
Rich