[G4] DP MDD 1.25 ghz built in ethernet (sort of) not,working

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 3 13:00:22 PST 2006

> On Nov 3, 2006, at 11:58 AM, C wrote:
>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a DP 1.25ghz  MDD and am having ethernet problems. The built
>> in ethernet port is basically not working and extremely slow. Under
>> System Preferences / Network / Network Status it shows the green
>> dot and states that its active, gives the IP address and connected
>> to the internet via built in ethernet. I am connected using DHCP.
>> It will check mail (takes 5-10 minutes) but a web page takes
>> forever to load if it even will at all.
>>
>> I have switched cables, reset PRAM and NVRAM, verified and repaired
>> permissions, deleted all plists regarding network and the like,
>> reconfigured it numerous times, and no luck. Do you think this is a
>> software or hardware problem?
>>
>> This MDD is new to me from as I am upgrading from my G4 AGP
>> Graphics (which worked perfect on the same ethernet cable)
>>
>> I have done everything I can think of and searched all sorts of
>> blogs, articles, etc and can't seem to find a solution (other than
>> installing a pci ethernet card). Anyone else ever encounter this
>> problem? If I install an apple oem 10/100 pci ethernet card will it
>> work at the same speed as the built in? Thanks in advance for your
>> help.
>>
>> Casey

I have had similar problems with other Macs, my solution was to go into the network configuration and change the speed negotiation from 'Auto' to whatever my router was set for (varied as I changed my hardware often) I found that sometimes the Mac failed to correctly negotiate a connection with the router, try in the first instance setting it to 10mb half duplex, if this works then try 100mb half duplex, then if you are connecting to a switch rather than a basic hub you can try 100mb full duplex.
Ben.