[G4] Backing up hard drive

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sun Nov 5 13:21:11 PST 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 06:38:30 -0800, Harry Freeman <harry at gifutiger.com>
wrote:

> Rich, just because Tech Tool Pro 4 has reported 869 bad blocks on the
> WD400BB doesn't mean that the disk needs to be removed from service.
> [snip]
> So unless your sister is experiencing corrupted data I would advise her
> not to worry to much about the disk drive.

I strongly disagree.  The drive we are discussing is in all likelihood the
original 5-6 year-old hard disk from the factory.  It has exceeded its
expected life span and is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Assuming it has been in regular use, I would not depend on any five year old
hard disk in any computer.  Replace it.

Now, it might still be serviceable as a backup external drive which is only
spun up once a month...