[G4] Networking

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Sun Nov 12 13:20:01 PST 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Bobby, all of the data feeds, whether it be dial-up modem, DSL or Cable
all use a packet method of sending data usually in a full-duplex
format. Therefore if your computer can not keep up with the speed of
the interface it will send a message to stop to the data feed until it
is ready accept more information. It is usually based upon the size of
your receive buffer, which will cause the message to stop when the
buffer reaches about 80% full.

This is a very simple explanation, and I'm so very sure someone will
say that I'm wrong and give you a detailed scenario of how everything
works, however I don't think that it will interest you, but there are
those on this group that like to show up others and give out
information that is way over the basic premise of the question.

So if this doesn't answer your question the re-post and I'll be glad to
fill in the missing parts.

On Nov 12, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Bobby Wade wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to the list. I am embarking on the endeavor
> to move out of stone age of dial-up internet service
> to the modernity of high speed connection. My G4 is
> older and I wonder if is capable to handle the
> increased rate of data? I believe it has an ether
> connection which sits next to the input for dial-up
> connection.

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC