[G4] Networking

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 18:30:16 PST 2006

Ha!

I have one AGP G4 350MHz at home on cable, and one at
work on the company LAN. Both running Tiger, and
Microsoft Office, and browsing no problem. The one at
work seems to browse faster (my home cable seems
slower). This indicates that the speed of the incoming
data is the problem, not CPU power.

I do not think the best way to extract maximum dollar
value is always CPU speed. Both my machines have 1Gb
of RAM and run their OS from U160 SCSI drives. These
are driven by ATTO UL3D PCI cards. They are 64bit
cards using the full width of the 33MHz bus. If you
are still using the clunky old original ATA33
interface then you should remember that the hard drive
is slowest piece in your Mac!

I also did modest video card upgrades so I can run
Quartz extreme.

Upgradng the CPU does nothing for the slow system bus.
Depends on what you do with your machine. It's a
complicated game.

Cheers,
            John