[G4] External Drives Not Mounting

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 10:41:25 PST 2006

I too have just found out I have this problem :-(

A recently aquired 350MHz AGP G4 tower refuses to
connect to my firewire backup drive.

When I received it, it was running OS 9 and I did a
firmware update so I could load Tiger. I was sure I
had tested the firewire then but now I'm not so sure.

Anway, I've tried the programmers reset, the Open
firmware reset, the Option-Command-P-R reset, and even
replaced the PRAM battery.

I went back to OS 9.2 and tried to repeat the firmware
update but it won't let me  - says it's already done.

I do not believe that the firewire ports are dead. I
believe that my firmware is corrupted. So the question
is "How do you verify that the firmware is correct,
and how do you re-flash it if it's wrong?"

Any suggestions welcome.

John