[G4] G4 APG upgrades?

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 07:50:23 PDT 2006

First post to this list.....

So I have upgraded from my B&W G3 350MHz to a G4 AGP
350MHz! :-)

Well actually I hit on a good deal for the G4 ($50).
It only had 64Mb but I had 1Gb of suitable RAM handy
(you see old PC's can be usefull after all). I also
had 4 X 18.1Gb Quantum 5 U160 LVD SCSI drives that I
was hoarding so for a further $100 I bought an Atto
UL3D dual channel SCSI PCI card and two U160 cable
sets, putting two drives on each channel.

So the G4 now has OS 10.3.9 on one drive, two drives
are striped together (one from each channel) and the
other drive is spare.

Thus the first question: what do you think of this
arrangement? Is there any software I can download that
will measure the disk access performance?

I also flashed a ATI Radeon 7000 32Mb PC video card,
and got it to work. The only trouble is if you allow
the G4 to sleep, then the video is corrupted when it
wakes up and the G4 has to be re-booted. Is there a
work around? I'm not sure I can tell that big a
performance improvement. I hoped Quartz Extreme would
be more noticeable.

Given I've only spent $150 on the machine, is there
anything else I should do for a sensible upgrade?