[G4] should I install OS X on G$ (400MHz)?

J. R. Rosen dilloman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 16 11:28:39 PDT 2006

Afternoon Frank!

I have a G4/450MP running Tiger with 1.25mb RAM.  It purrs along.
It's no speed demon, but it works quite well.

I'm running Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) as well as
iLife '06, and [granted] there are some spinning beach-balls, but
over-all it works great.

You don't mention how much RAM you have.  OS X is a RAM-hog!  If your
RAM isn't maxed out, you need to have at least 512mb - at least!

You didn't mention which version of OS X you'll be upgrading to...
FYI, my G4 has had them all, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4.  10.4 (Tiger)
is by far the best running of the bunch.

Oh yeah, find out if your peripherals are supported in X.  Your
printer/scanner may or may not have drivers in OS X.  You can check
at apple.com.

Last but not least, your hard drive... if it's the original drive,
you may want to upgrade to something larger.  Your G4 will support up
to 128gb HDD.  And the newer HDD's are much faster than the older
ones.  You should have plenty of space inside for more drives.  You
can probably pick-up a 100gb, 7200rpm HDD for $50 - $60 anywhere.
Make sure to get 7200rpm.

If you have any more questions/comment/problems, drop a line.

HAVE FUN - OS X ROCKS!!!

On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:05 PM, Frank haddock wrote:

> I have a 400MHz G4.  Will I experience a slowdown in computer
> performance
> if I install system X?
>
> Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.
>
> frank

> stuff:

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics