[G4] Re: Dying Sawtooth status was 'Help, I think my Sawtooth

Carol Leger java_j at macosx.com
Mon Oct 16 13:13:50 PDT 2006

Al Poulin wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2006, at 8:05 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
> wrote:
>

>> Message: 8
>> Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:27:21 -0700
>> From: Carol Leger <java_j at macosx.com>
>> Subject: [G4] Dying Sawtooth status was 'Help, I  think my Sawtooth
>>     died!
>> To: G4List <G4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> My sawtooth is not dead, but it may be dying.
>>
>> I did get it going again, sort of.
>>
>> I took several of your suggestions.
>

> And how does the battery test for voltage?  Did you press the Reset or
> CUDA button?

I don't have the skill to do that, nor do I have a voltmeter.  I was
thinking of taking it to work where someone might be able to test it.

I now about the Reset button on the front of the computer.  I did push
that once.  I don't know of any other button.

In the meantime, I got it going again.  I immediately reset the PRAM.  I
got the folder with the ? . Eventually it booted into OS 9.1, just like
before.

I set OS 9.2 as the startup disk and restarted.  No problem.  I am
currently running TTP 4.0.4 on it.  After that I will try Disk Utility
from the OS 10.3.5 install disk.

One thing I have noticed is that when the computer booted after the ?,
it booted into OS 9.x which is on a drive on the master bus.  OS X is on
a drive on the slave bus.  One thing I will try is to select OS 9.x as
the startup drive before I shut down next time.  I have had OS X
selected as the startup disk.

Although I do not have the skill to remove, swap or replace drives
myself,  I have access to help.

I will report back with the results of the diagnostics and what happens
after a shutdown with OS 9 set as the startup drive.`

Carol