[G4] OSX 10.4.8 not having a classic mode bugaboo

chip puller chippuller at msn.com
Mon Oct 16 13:47:40 PDT 2006

OSX 10.3 will run classic mode and OS 9.22 can run. OSX 10.4 took the
classic mode out but there was an article about running OS 10.3.9 on a
partition on the OSX 10.4.8 partition. I copied my 10.3.3 directory to the
Mac Mini 10.4.8. I upgraded that 10.3.4 to 10.3.9 and if I can get the mini
to boot into 10.3.9 I can see why the classic mode 9.2 should not work. Why
Apple decided to disable the classic mode then offer a classic mode repair
option in ox 10.4.8 is a mystery. Why apple hides all of their function key
options is another mystery. Getting classic to run on a Mac Mini is my goal
and I accept the challange. Even if I have to alter the Apple ROM
instructions. This is the same goat apple tried to kill when they changed
the roms on the Blue and White G-3's not to accept any G-4 cards. I have a
450 Mhz G-4 cpu card in my PM 9600 and that G-4 runs programs like a Blue
and white should have if Apple had not crippled it. granted I do not have a
100 mhz bus the that G-4's speed  makes up for the slow bus speed