[G4] Sleep Causes Crash

Richard Bullen bullen.r at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 21:41:21 PDT 2006

Symptoms:

Put the system to sleep using the top left apple menu.

Subsequently hit a key to wake up the system. Screen display comes back,
but the keys and mouse are no longer being read by the computer. The
only solution appears to be shutting down the system. However, if the
restart is not done with the shift key held down it appears that the
system hangs during reboot and never comes to life.
Following the safe reboot I can reboot the system and everything comes
up as expected.

What I've tried (shots in the dark)
1. Repairing permissions
2. Booting from a different hard drive and running disk warrior

Characteristics:

10.4.8
G4 867 dual, with 2G ram and 250G HD

Screen energy saver set to:
Display sleeps after 10 min
Computer sleeps after 20 min.
Frequently I find these do not take effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a possible cause?