[G4] Installing Tiger with Panther

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sun Oct 22 10:02:10 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I am ready to take the plunge and buy/install Tiger.

I have Panther already running.  What I want to do is to be able to boot
from Panther or Tiger.

My plan is to install Tiger on separate partition or even a separate
hard drive.  I assume that if I just use the 'Archive and Install'
option, I would lose the ability to boot from Panther.

What do you think would be the best way to do this?

1) Clone the Panther boot disk onto the Tiger partition.  Delete
documents and other user data.  Then use 'Archive and Install' to
install Tiger.  The idea being that it would keep my network setup. But
then I would have two copies of my Panther application.

2) Just install Tiger from scratch on the Tiger partition.

3) Something else

What do you do with your applications?  Many of them should run under
Panther and Tiger.  If I have only one copy of, say, Adobe's InDesign,
will Tiger find it if it is in Panther's Applications folder?

My main reason for moving to Tiger is to use iMovie/iDVD from iLife 6.
I could boot back into Panther for everything else.  Would that be the
way to start?

Carol