[G4] Installing Tiger with Panther

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Sun Oct 22 11:13:56 PDT 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Carol, If you haven't yet purchased Tiger, I would advise waiting a
little longer and getting Leopard. That is unless you have access to a
very good price for a copy of Tiger.

The Leopard release is rumored for November 2006 and the retail price
should be about the same as Tiger. So unless you can get a good deal
you will purchasing a release that is almost at the end of it's
development period. Oh sure there will be a group at Apple that will
still be doing release refinements and correcting security problems,
but that's about all.

Unconfirmed reports are that Apple is to reveal launch details for it’s
next-generation Mac OS 10.5 “Leopard” at WWDC. WWDC is scheduled for
November 2006.

On Oct 22, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Carol wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am ready to take the plunge and buy/install Tiger.
>
> I have Panther already running.  What I want to do is to be able to
> boot from Panther or Tiger.
>
> My plan is to install Tiger on separate partition or even a separate
> hard drive.  I assume that if I just use the 'Archive and Install'
> option, I would lose the ability to boot from Panther.
>
> What do you think would be the best way to do this?
>
> 1) Clone the Panther boot disk onto the Tiger partition.  Delete
> documents and other user data.  Then use 'Archive and Install' to
> install Tiger.  The idea being that it would keep my network setup.
> But then I would have two copies of my Panther application.
>
> 2) Just install Tiger from scratch on the Tiger partition.
>
> 3) Something else
>
> What do you do with your applications?  Many of them should run under
> Panther and Tiger.  If I have only one copy of, say, Adobe's InDesign,
> will Tiger find it if it is in Panther's Applications folder?
>

> My main reason for moving to Tiger is to use iMovie/iDVD from iLife 6.
> I could boot back into Panther for everything else.  Would that be the
> way to start?
>
> Carol

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC