[G4] Any reason not to upgrade to 10.4.8?

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Tue Oct 24 04:36:18 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:

> When I upgraded to 10.4.8 I had no more problems with sleep/wake
> issues related to my PCI USB-2 card and hub. This is one of the
> issues it was meant to fix and it did. Go for it.
> Greg
>
> On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:54 PM, Aaron wrote:

You may want to take a look at Apple.com > Support  > Discussions .
You can browse the categories and if you sign up or belong to .Mac
(ughhh) that will allow you the privileges to post questions.  They
have a vast list of areas that can be used to check just about
anything  Apple.  including, but not limited too it’s OS releases.
Now remember that mostly people with problems will be posting the
questions, with the occasional "well mine works fine"  So do not be
discouraged when all you see are problems, that is why the discussion
list is  there. The key is, how many  questions are posted on your
area of interest and how new ae they.

  When a new release comes out there is inevitably a rash of
problems, some with the software,  some with the person who installs
the OS.  What I look for,  is after a few weeks have the amount of
messages gone down and only a relatively few keep coming in compared
to opening day. Usually by 2 weeks  the major bugs have been dealt
with and by a month it should be clear sailing. Remember it's Apples
sand box so anything to nasty against the product may get you get
kicked out. On the outside boards you just get your question flamed
if it's too negative but the good answers come from those who post to
you personally. It does not help if your stuck on a problem and
someone says, mine works fine.  I like to get the latest the OS
upgrades as Apple especially with OS X each one has been a huge leap
in every respect. However there is no reason not to follow your
strategy and save a few bucks and wait till the new price is half or
33% of what I paid originally. The only concern for me is security
and by staying current I am keeping the software as secure as
possible..I hope.  I would say most of the people who have problems
seem to be those who load up on a lot of 3rd party software and
tinker with the OS and are not level 3 tinkers yet.. Now I use some
of the best  3rd party software out there but I do not download
anything and everything  just to have a look and this computer has
run pain free for 9 months. Also Macfixit is a good source
Geoffrey Loeffler
You're Either With Us or You're With the Terrorists - Vladmir I. Lenin