[G4] Deleted "Sites" folder

jim carbone dictator at rebargraphics.com
Mon Oct 30 07:02:41 PST 2006

Hi,

First off, I apologize for the slightly OT post... it's borderline, I
guess, but this group is always so helpful with my issues, and this
is taking place on my G4.

Anyhow, once upon a time--for whatever reason--deleted the "Sites"
folder in my User directory. Now, I'd like to use it for what it was
meant for, but attempts to restore it to working order aren't
successful.

-- I do have Personal Web Sharing activated, and the "Sites" folder
in another User account works exactly as it should.

-- I recreated a folder named "Sites" in its place, and it
immediately got "blessed" with the proper icon.

-- I copied the default files from my test-user account and matched
the permissions that they own when I'm logged in as the test user.

-- When I navigate to the the folder in a browser (on my machine and
on other network machines) I get a 403 "You don't have the required
permission to access" error. The machine's default Apache page and
the test user accounts work fine. And yes, I am sure I have the URL
right. I even use the links in the Sharing Preferences Pane where I
turn Personal Web Sharing on and off.

-- I have rebooted, repaired permissions, and done three crazy voodoo
dances, but still no effect.

For what it's worth, this machine is a G4 MDD Dual 1.25 w/2GB ram
running OS X 10.4.8.

Does anyone know what I broke when I deleted that folder and how to
get it back working again? Any help is appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
--jim