[G4] Available resolutions - VGA V's DVI

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 09:23:58 PST 2006

Hi! (sorry if this gets double-posted)

At work I have a "fabulous" Dell Precision M70 laptop.
It also has a Dell 2001FP LCD hooked up via a docking
station. Marvelous technology!

I just hate using it :-(

So I sneeked in (against company rules) my own 350MHz
G4 AGP tower.

Bliss! Now I can wax lyrical about how exactly a
350MHz CPU can provide a better user experience than a
2GHz PentiumM screamer, but I'd be preaching to the
converted :-) I wish Apple had not given in also.

However, when connected to the right machine (!), the
Dell LCD is actually very nice, has a DVI and VGA
input.

When connected to the laptops docking station DVI it
will do native 1600x1200. When connected to the
original Rage Pro card VGA connection I also get
1600x1200, but when I use the DVI connection I only
get 1280x1024 max.

Is this normal? I thought DVI was the way to go but
not at that cost!

Can anybody explain?

John