[G4] sleep problem after upgrade

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 07:47:44 PDT 2006

I would suggest that first, you unplug the DVD from the firewire and then
check if full sleep will occur, if not then remove the PCI firewire 800 card
and try again. Some PCI cards do not support sleep on the Macintosh
platform.

I have a Memory card reader that plugs into the firewire port on my G4, and
after I got and used it the first time, sleep would not happen. So I trouble
shot the problem for a day or so and then I happen to remove the Memory card
reader and the platform would go to sleep. To double check I reconnected the
Memory card reader, no sleep, removed the Memory card reader and sleep was
Okay.

Give it a try.

On 8/31/06, D. Metzler List Mail <dmlm at mail.sis.pitt.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I just installed a pioneer DVD writer and PCI firevire 800 card
> in a mirror door dual 1G G4, (10.2.8) and although everything seems
> to be working the machine won't go to full sleep anymore (the
> screen goes black but the fan and/or the HD remain on, as
> do the power lights on the G4 and 17" flat pannel display.
> Same thing happens whether trying sleep from the menu or letting
> the energy settings do it.
>
> Any ideas or exeriences with this?  (E.g., before I tear things apart
> again and see if I can identify the cause physically I was wondering
> if it might be a software issue say with the driver for the DVD RW?)
>
> Apologies if this is a known problem...but I hadn't heard about it.
>
> BTW, if anyone is thinking about upgrading to a faster DVD writer
> like this one, you should know that the newer Pioneers have a bigger
> tray than the original and will take some nasty trimming of the
> support carriage and door frames to let it open ;(
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Doug Metzler

Harry