[G4] PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) booting from external drive

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Sep 1 11:53:32 PDT 2006

On 08/31/06, Seth Dimbert <sdimbert at hbha.edu> wrote:

> I've got a couple of PM G4 (AGP) machines in my Mac Lab and one of
> them misbehaves. It freezes randomly when Photoshop is open (even
> after it's re-imaged with a fresh image) and will not boot from an
> external firewire drive. The other, identical machine will, but this
> one will not.
>
> I've just re-installed a fresh copy of Panther, but System Prefs will
> not let me choose the external drive as a Startup Disk and rebooting
> with Option held down doesn't work, either.
>
> Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

No. But, you might try this. Boot the machine into open firmware and reset the
machine's settings to defaults by restarting the machine (holding down the CMD
+ OPT+  O + F keys until a screen with text stops loading). Then, enter these
commands, following each with hitting the return key:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

The last one reboots the machine. Then, see if it'll boot from the external HD.