[G4] Just installed a new Pioneer DVR-111D. What is the stock ATA cable, 40 or 80 pin?

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 22:00:33 PDT 2006

The _connectors_ on a standard ATA cable are always 40
pin (minus one, actually).  The difference is in the
ribbon cable itself.  Some have 40 conductors (wires),
and some have 80.

In the case of a PC, its important to have the 80 wire
version to ensure the highest data transfer rates, and
prevent transfer mode conflicts.  I don't know how
this applies in the case of Macs, but I'd assume the
80 wire cales are the standard.  That's what my MDD
came with.

If you compare the 40 and 80 wire cables side by side,
the difference is obvious.  If you don't have one of
each to compare, then if you start counting the
conductors (drag a pin slowly across the cable and
count the 'bumps'), it won't take you long to figure
out which one you have.

--DKM