[G4] Pioneer DVR-104 questions

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 3 04:29:06 PDT 2006

I've had to use the Pioneer DVR-104 that came with my Mac (G4 Dual 867) since my Lite-On SOHW-1673S went bad last week. The Pioneer is working fine except that I can't get it to record at 2x on any of the DVD-R disks I've tried with either Toast 7.1, Toast 5.2.3 or Tiger's Finder burner!

According to ASP, the "Revision" of the Pioneer DVR-104 is A227. I don't know what the firmware version of the drive is or how to find out! (Since Pioneer released firmware version 1.41 in May 2006, and I haven't changed the firmware after buying the G4 used last fall, it presumably is 1.40 or earlier.)

Is there some reason why the drive will only record at 1x? Are there discs that will get it to record at 2x?

 - Aaron

>From: B G <briang113 at pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: [G4] Should Pioneer DVR-104 read DVD+R discs?
>Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:13:14 -0700
>To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers." <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>Aaron
>
>According to the specs it will not read a DVD +R
>
>Specification DVR-104
>
>Record formats supported
>DVD: DVD-R(for General use only), DVD-RW
>CD: CD-R, CD-RW
>Read formats supported
>DVD: DVD-ROM single layer/dual layer, DVD-R (all types), DVD-RW
>CD: CD-ROM Mode 1, CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2), CD-TEXT Photo
>CD (single and multiple session), CD-DA (Audio CD), CD-Extra, CD-R,
>CD-RW (Support AM2)
>Write speeds
>DVD-R: 2X CLV, 1x CLV
>DVD-RW: 1X CLV