[G4] Can I burn and copy a DVD+R disk onto a DVD-R disk?

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 4 00:43:20 PDT 2006

>Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 02:10:22 -0400
>From: SKYGRAM <skygram at gmail.com>
>To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers." <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>Thanks for the input Richard. But I am actually trying to burn a copy
>of a DVD+R disk onto a DVD-R blank disk.

You should be more specific about what you're trying to do.

Unless you have a second drive that can at least _read_  DVD+R discs, you're going to be copying the contents of the DVD+R disc to a hard drive and then from there onto a DVD-R disc. So the difference in the kinds of discs should be irrelevant, since the Pioneer 111D can handle both formats.

(If the disc you're trying to copy is a video DVD, you should probably copy it using MacTheRipper, since that program (it's free!) can compensate better for disc errors than the Finder can.)

>I am using Toast 7.1
>
>I made an expensive attempt ashort while ago. The blank DVD-R cost me
>$4.00 Canadian. I was able to burn something however when I verified
>the burn, it failed.

In the U.S., you can buy 100 high-quality DVD-R blanks for under $40 US. With NAFTA in effect, can they be that much more expensive in Canada?