[G4] KVM for Mac/ PC

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Tue Sep 5 06:58:20 PDT 2006

John Bateman sez:
> Hi Everybody;
>
> I am also looking for various options to KVM switch my PC and my Mac...
> standard VGA connector is fine, DVI acceptable... I have both Mac and PC
> USB keyboards and Mice.... it's a G4 Sawtooth and a PC with a G Force FX
> 9520.... want to run it all to a 19" LCD, if possible.
>
> Various price ranges acceptable... done research and seems like every one
> has a catch or a "maybe not so", and don't want to buy twice.

It's not at the top of my list, but I'm looking for a new KVM, too.  I
started out years ago with a mechanical KVM (forgot the brand) that worked
okay until the switch contacts got fairly worn or dirty.  Then I went to a
4-port Linksys KVM that has served me very well for I don't know how many
years.  The only problem with that is that it's strictly PS2 and db15 VGA
connectors.  These days I've got a PS2 keyboard for my Windows and Linux
boxes, USB for the Mac, a monitor with VGA & DVI connectors, DVI from the
Windows box, and VGA from the Linux and Mac boxes.  I think, for me, the
way to go is a USB & DVI KVM, perhaps with audio switching, too.  In any
case, I'd happily go with something else from Linksys.

In the meantime, SSH (putty client on the win box with an ssh server on
the Linux box) and Remote Desktop/Terminal Services are very handy.

--
Rich