[G4] Instructions on re-installing myOS9

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Sep 5 11:42:32 PDT 2006

On 5 September, 2006, at 8:12:31, Chris wrote:

> I recently installed OS 10.3 and now I need to install Classic. I
> inserted the disk but it reads that I do not have a system folder.
> Can anyone instruct me on the process so I can run both operating
> systems on my computer?

Start your machine with the OS-9 CD inserted in the drive. Hold the
"C" key down while starting, this will force the computer to start
from the CD instead of the hard drive.

When you begin the installation, there will be an option to do a
"Clean Install" of the OS-9 software.

Select that option and then continue with your OS-9 installation.

You will also have the  choice of doing an "Easy" or a "Custom"
install of the OS. I suggest selecting the "Custom" installation. My
reason for this choice is that OS-X will be handling all the normally
hidden functions of the operating system instead of OS-9 doing that job.

This means that you can eliminate some of the functions that the
"Easy" install choice would have put on your drive. Some of the OS-9
things like Stickies, Internet service, ColorSync, Runtime for Java,
etc, are not needed by OS-X. They are already part of the OS-X
functions and won't be activated when OS-X is working.

Good luck.