[G4] Airport and Vonage

J. R. Rosen dilloman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 14 10:52:07 PDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:27 AM, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:

> Anybody have any experience getting original graphite Airport base
> station to work with Vonage internet phone service? Some people at
> Vonage say it can't be done, but I think they just don't know how.
> Others say I need a separate router. I really don't want one more
> thing attached to my computer. The graphite airport only has the
> one ethernet slot. I wonder if I need to actually reset the Airport
> base station. That's the only thing I didn't try. Last time I did I
> had to do it in OS9 with the Airport CD.
> Greg

Greg, I have Vonage with Airport.  The way it's set-up is...
Cable wire -> Cable Modem -> Vonage Box -> Airport

Now, just so you know... when we get a call on Vonage, our internet
slows down so much, that we have to reboot the modem, Vonage and
Airport!!!  We have them on 1 power strip, so it's not that big a
PITA, but it is still a PITA.

The Vonage should not be interfering with Airport or vicaversa (sp???)

And I have no idea why phone calls/Vonage slow down the internet -
maybe some of our learned colleagues can help on that point.

We mainly use our cells, and have the land-line just to keep our
mortgage company happy.  We get maybe 3 calls a month - usually
telemarketers!

Greg, I hope this helps - HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

J. R. Rosen
Armadillo Press-Printing & Graphics
305 Wells Fargo Dr., Suite 4
Houston, TX 77090