[G4] help on installing an internal mac modem (i'm A NEWB!)

Brandon Sternburg happyhlaut at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 11:24:09 PDT 2006

I just got an old tower g4 and plan to upgrade it. I
understand the pci port upgrades. Installing hard
drive and ram. But i am trying to find an internal
modem for my tower i've come across the internal
modems suppoively supposively use in these Tower PC's
but looking at the pictures i can't figure out how you
install it. I'm not sure exactly which model i have.
It is a 533mhz g4 tower with a very small microphone
port. So i figure maybe it's the digital audio  model
which also featured the agp card. Reguardless the port
on the back that looks like it should be where the
modem goes. but the port has a small metal box there
with what i thought was a modem. It had a phone port.
I only had to move it to the side. Howerver the
operating system (os X 10.3.9) says there is no modem.
I thought maybe it was a driver issue but even started
up under os 9 there is no way to access this modem. if
it IS a modem. reguardless i want an internal modem
and before i purchase it i need to figure out:

1. if the lil box potentially hard wired to the mother
board is a modem

2. if it isn't how do i install a modem in it's place.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i've searched
for hours on google with no info turning up at all.
I'm totally confused and will be making my decision on
what i'm going to purchase next week. Anyone know
about this. I mean i'd hate to use up one of the 4 pci
ports for a modem if i don't have to.