[G4] Target Disk Mode ?

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Tue Sep 19 10:42:07 PDT 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Al Poulin wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:13 AM,
> g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>

>> Message: 8
>> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:08:04 -0400
>> From: Dale Hoffman <dhoff at margnat.com>
>> Subject: Re: [G4] Target Disk Mode ?
>> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
>> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

>> At 6:06 PM +1000 9/19/06, Tony Johansen wrote:
>>> Second thing is a simple ethernet cable should work. I have all my
>>> computers
>>> networked via ethernet through a router, I don't see why it wouldn't
>>> work
>>> without the router. Worth a try.
>>
>> If connecting via the ethernet ports (RJ45) between two computers
>> without a hub or router you need a special (though inexpensive and
>> easily found) "crossover" cable.
>
> The crossover cable is not required with the QS and MDD machines
> running OS 9 and OS X.  Any ethernet cable will do.
>
> Al Poulin
> Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
> proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.

This is because most modern platforms have an ethernet port that
detects if the other end is DTE or DTC and makes an adjustment to be
what is necessary.

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC