[G4] MiniMac or G4 Upgrade

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Thu Sep 21 05:25:00 PDT 2006

Upgrade!  The video on the Mini is 'shared'.  Especially if you use
Photoshop, you won't like it!  Not to mention that none of those apps
have been released in Universal format yet.  I have a MacBook which
shares the 'shared video' in common with the Mini.  I won't use this
for more than email and web browsing.  I originally transferred
Office to it from the iBook that I upgraded from and was disappointed
by the performance of Office under Rosetta.
Now, my desktop is a new Mac Pro.  The performance of Office and
Photoshop is hardly, if at all noticeable.  Actually they 'seem' to
run faster than on my G5 dual 2 gig that it replaced.  The Mini is
not expandable beyond adding Firewire or USB drives.  You'll be
saddled with a crippled Mac.  Definitely upgrade to a faster
processor on your G4.  You'll be much more pleased with the result.

Tim
On Sep 20, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Richard Northouse wrote:

> I have a question for all you smart people;
>
> I have a Quicksilver (G4,  OSX.Tiger, 3 drives -- 80g, 180g and
> 120g, 1gig
> ram, Superdrive, 17" apple display, 733mHz clock). I have been
> thinking
> about getting a processor upgrade to maybe 1.6-1.8 gHz.  But today
> a friend
> was telling me about his mini-mac duo. It has a 80 g drive, 512 meg
> of ram,
> a Superdrive, with a 1.83 gHz clock.  The list price is $599 (or
> maybe 699 -
> I might have forgot).
>
> But this little baby is about the price of the processor upgrade -
> plus I
> get the ability to run Windoz. I can probably put my second and
> third drives
> on a firewire box. I can also up the memory to a gig or two. My Apple
> display and keyboard will plug into the new box.
>
> I do a lot of Microsoft Office (word, excel, powerpoint), some
> Photoshop,
> and internet stuff.
>
> So what is the best deal  -- upgrade or minimac?
>
> I will certainly appreciate any comments you folks might have.
>
> Thanks much.

>> Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage
>> Mac and random stuff:
>>          http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

> stuff:
>

> --