[G4] Upgrade Video Cards for my AGP G4 Correction!!!!

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Sep 29 17:25:23 PDT 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Thank you David for your reply, however I've been using the internet
for at least 20 years and I've used all of the popular search engine
ever since the time when you had to  use "AND" "OR" and all of those
other search qualifiers.

The big problem with search engines are that most of the hits that you
receive are based on manufactures hype, which requires a lot of reading
between the lines.

I live in the Silicon Valley and have worked for some of the suppliers
and know how and why the advertisement sheets are put together.

What I'm looking for is the users bottom line of how it has worked out
for them.

What you have posted leads me to believe that the Radeon 9200 is a very
fine card, but only if you have the basic platform to take advantage of
it's power.

My Monitor can not go as hi in resolution as the Radeon can provide so
that is an over kill. My Rage AGP card can provide a resolution that is
so high that if I use the highest resolution that everything becomes so
small that I can not read the text.

So for my platform it looks like the Radeon 9200 wouldn't be anything
except another "Iron Ball" residing within my machine.

Please don't take this post as an attempt to belittle the information
that you have provided, however I would like to hear from others that
use this card or another card that will increase the speed of display.
Or perhaps AGP cards that will hold more look ahead.

Thanks again.

On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:57 PM, David M. DeFelice wrote:

> --- Harry Freeman <harry at gifutiger.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings ( + )!( + )
>>
>> And what would make the Radeon 9200 128MB AGP card
>> any better than the
>> Rage 128MB Pro that came with my G4?
>
> Harry ... the wonderful thing about computers are that
> they can do alot of work for you, by using a search
> engine.
>
> By going to ATI.com I found the information that
> convinced me to buy the Radeon 9200.  Here is a sample
> of that information. Hopes this helps in your search
> for the best card.
>
> Features
>
> Multi-Generational Technology
> Designed for OS X and legacy OS 9 systems for the
> widest support of Mac systems
> Flexible dual display configurations that reach
> resolutions up to 2048x1536
> Use VERSAVISION™ to enable hardware accelerated
> display rotation – up to 180 degrees
> 128MB of DDR memory ensures stunning graphics for
> next-generation and legacy games and applications
> Advanced Visual Quality
> SmartShader™ enables cinematic quality lighting and
> shadow effects
> SmoothVision™ delivers the sharpest, clearest textures
> without sacrificing frame rates
> High-precision programmable pixel and vertex shaders
> provide ultra-realistic effects
> Pixel-Powered Excellence
> Experience the full power of Mac display features in
> OS X, OpenGL, Quartz and QuickTime
> Enable high quality settings to customize the gaming
> experience
> Video Immersion™ integrates features to provide
> unprecedented support for digital and high definition
> video.
> Industry-leading Stability and Support
> Hassle-free manufacturers warranty
> Responsive and knowledgeable Customer Service Team
> Extensive online user resources and updates through
> ati.com
>

> Rage Pro (older card)
> Overview
>
> 32MB frame buffer to process massive 3D textures
> Powered by ATI RAGE 128 PRO™; graphics engine
> 32-bit true color 3D acceleration (16.7 million
> colors) up to 1920x1200
> 2D graphics up to 1920x1200 at 32bpp
> Full OpenGL® ICD, Direct3D and DirectX® acceleration
> Hardware DVD for full-frame rate, full-screen DVD
> Supports ATI-TV WONDER™;, the add-on TV Tuner card
> Includes ATI Multimedia Center software
> AGP 4X / 2X
> Optional video-in/video-out support
>

> PTL
> David M. DeFelice
> Jesus Christ is Lord of all.. ;o)
>        MI-MAC ROCKS - G4, 733MHz, 1.5GB Ram, 80GBHD, Lacie DVD+RW
> 16x4x16, Radeon 9200 128MB, Maxtor 40GB Firewire, Mercury 80GB
> Firewire, 21" RastorOps SuperScan.

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC