[G4] Issues with my lucky find on saint patricks day.

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 6 07:29:36 PDT 2007

Brandon Sternburg wrote:

>I found one of those dusty old g4 gems lying in
>someones basement. it's a family number M5183 g4
>sawtooth. it is quite the beefy system already with
>all the ram slots full, two hard drives, a dvd writer
>and what appears to potentially be a third party G4
>upgrade. (maybe 1ghz) I wish i knew more but my issue
>is that it is not giving signal to the monitor!!
>
>The machine starts up with a green light in front(not
>sure if this is the average color) it makes the start
>up tone and it sounds as it it's running perfectly.
>But for some reason the video is not making it to the
>monitor (which stinks because a massive 21' studio
>display came with this thing.) I have also noticed
>there is no power making it to the keyboard and mouse
>either until sometimes after startup which means i
>can't zap the pram or do any other keyboard combos to
>mess with it.
>
>What i've done so far was to repace the video card
>with a newer model ati agp but no help. I've hit the
>internal NVram button and also no change still cannot
>power the mouse and keyboard ut strangely the power
>button does start it up but after the tone everything
>goes lame.
>
>anyone have any suggestions?!?

Had a similar problem with my daughters Beige G3+, It would start from
the keyboard, bong would sound then nothing on the screen.  It was a bit
tedious but I unplugged and reseated the HD cables from the drives and
MB and I reseated ALL of the RAM and CD / DVD / Iomega drives and
pressed the CUDA for 15 seconds and then it restarted fine.  I then
restarted again with Norton in and ran Disk Doctor and Speed Disk and
now no problems  ...  other than I can NOT get it to connect to the net

HTH and You are welcome,

Dan Currie