[G4] PROBLEMS INSTALLING OS 9

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 07:51:37 PDT 2007

To boot OS9 on a Sawtooth, you should be able to use a generic OS9
disc if you are running the original CPU chip. I believe the latest
firmware version is 4.2.8 ( I just completed this update on my G4
tower yesterday). The iMac install disc probably won't work, and the
one from the Quicksilver may have the same problem. The only ones
that I know to work every time are the original disc that shipped
with the computer or a generic "retail" version of the Mac OS9 disc
(9.0, 9.04, or 9.1).

You can usually find these CDs on eBay.

The other thing you can do, is copy a working OS9 system folder from
another Mac to a CD or a firewire HD and then copy it to your G4.
Once you do that, you should be able to select it in the Startup Disk
preference under OSX and boot from it. I've done this a few times,
and it almost always works.

Good luck.

-Hal