[G4] PCI USB Card?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 11:18:01 PDT 2007

On 27 Mar, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Dan A Currie wrote:

> I recently purchased an Adaptec 3 Port USB 2.0 & 2 port Firewire
> PCI card for MAC / PC desktops for my daughters Beige G3 so that
> she could connect her Shuffle ... well when we connect the Shuffle
> nothing happens ... it is NOT recognized and does not power up.
>
> Which slot should / would be the best slot for the USB card?

You didn't indicate which OS version you are using in the G3. That is
a critical issue for recognizing the USB/FW card. If you don't have
at least 8.6, the computer won't recognize the card and the Shuffle
won't be seen.

I recommend upgrading to at least OS-9.1 on the G3 to make it easier
to operate with after-market cards. The machine will easily handle
that upgrade and it will eliminate other probable issues also.