[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 32, Issue 5

Eric Buczynski emaxxx4 at warpmail.net
Fri Apr 6 15:18:08 PDT 2007

The reason for the non-working mouse and keyboard might be due to bad
USB ports.  I have a Digital Audio that has the same problem.  When
using an Apple keyboard and optical mouse, the machine would boot up,
sometimes making the startup chime and sometimes no chime, but the
machine would seem to power up halfway without any progress.  When
the keyboard and mouse were removed (both with the mouse plugged into
the keyboard and the mouse plugged into the only "good" USB port on
the Mac itself), the machine would make the startup chime and boot
normally.

The way to overcome this is a 4-port USB card that fit's in one of
the PCI slots.  I have one that works a little flaky, but it works.
Wal Mart sells a Mac-compatible 4-port (maybe 5-port if there's one
for an internal component) USB card for around $20-$25.  Check their
return policy if you don't plan on keeping it or using it with a PC.
You'll have at least two extra ports if it works.  What model of
studio display do you have?  Does it have USB ports on the back with
the connector being ADC (Apple Display Connector - looks like DVI
with rounded ends)?

Keep us updated.

Eric

On Apr 6, 2007, at 3:39 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com