[G4] G4 - Second cd /dvd drive

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:00:30 PDT 2007

On Mar 18, 2007, at 7:36 PM, RMATec at aol.com wrote:

> I just bought a G4 800mhz. It comes with a cd that reads and writes
> but does not read dvds. It uses the second front slot. The top front
> slot appears empty. Is it possible to add another internal cd/dvd
> reader in the top slot or is this one simply for show and must I buy
> an external drive.

Since you haven't told us what model of Mac you have my answer is a
definite maybe. Get the model number from the back of the computer and
look it up at some place like lowendmacs.com or get a copy of
mactracker. If you don't find the information you need, report back
here and one of us should be able to figure it out.

BTW, you can definitely replace the existing CD-RW drive with a DVD
burner. 10.4 has has a much better compatibility story with non-Apple
drives than earlier versions, although PatchBurn helps a lot with that.

Whatever is the latest Pioneer seems to be the drive of choice for
many. Official Apple drives can be purchased at places like www.macsales.com
  and smalldog.com.

Phil
--
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition
dies, I think the soul of America dies with it. -- Edward R. Murrow