[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 32, Issue 11

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 21:36:37 PDT 2007

On 04/06/07,  B G <briang113 at pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Erin Anon wrote:
>
>> I have a PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) with 400MHz processor and 1gb
>> of ram and I'm having two issues.
>>
>> First is an upgrade issue:
>> It currently has 10.3.9 on it, and I've gotten two different
>> upgrade dvd's from two different people for 10.4 but I keep having
>> the same problem.
>>
>> I put the dvd in the dvd drive, and it just spits it right back out
>> after thinking about it for about 5 seconds.  The cd/dvd icon never
>> shows up on the desktop.
>>
>> I've tried rebooting and holding c but that just does the same thing.
>> One of the dvd's was dvd-r but the other was dvd+r.
>> I'm thinking the drive is probably fine since it plays normal dvd
>> movies and can run an ubuntu livecd just fine as well.
>> Also, my mac doesn't have firewire which it mentions on the apple
>> site is a requirement, but would that matter?
>
> 10.4 will not install on some of the older machines, yours is one.
>
> You are stuck at 10.3.9 unless you can find someway around the
> installer.

Where'd you get that idea? Tiger will install on all G4 machines and SOME G3
machines.

These are the requirements:
	*	Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
	*	Built-in FireWire
	*	DVD drive for installation
	*	256 MB of RAM
	*	3 GB of available hard disk space (4 GB if you install the developer
tools)