[G4] System Preferences Update

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 13 13:27:52 PDT 2007

On 04/13/07, Dan A Currie <dancurr at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Harry Freeman wrote:
>>
>> Dan if you pull up the System Preferences... and click on "Startup
>> Disk" do you see a choice for OS 9?
>> If not there isn't a valid OS 9 system folder.
>
> That is the problem ... now how do I tell it to open up with either the
> OS 10.2 or OS 9 Install CD so that I can erase that disk and reinstall?
>
> Every time I use OS 9 and the C or X keys it just keeps restarting  with
> the smiley Mac and when I use OS 10.2 all I get is a gray screen.
>
> I have been to the artnum 58042 on my computer but until I can get the
> FrankenMac to recognize something I am stuck and rapidly losing hair!!
>
> Now I know the true meaning of "Catch 22"!!
>
> Got to go to work will check back after 11PM

Try this. Boot into Open Firmware (hold down the CMD+OPT+O+F keys), let up when
text starts scrolling down the screen. Type in these these commands, following
each with hitting the return key:

	reset-nvram
	set-defaults
	reset-all

The last one reboots the machine. Then, see if it'll boot from the one of your
install disks.