[G4] Re: System Preferences Update

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 13 21:50:42 PDT 2007

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:

>> Every time I use OS 9 and the C or X keys it just keeps
>> restarting  with the smiley Mac and when I use OS 10.2
>> all I get is a gray screen.
>

> Are they legitimate system disks?

Yes, they are legitimate disks and I finally figured out what I did to
cause it ... I just do not know how to fix it.  My MDD runs Tiger and I
forgot which computer I was on and ran Applejack ... on a computer with
2 system folder and 2 different OS's .  I think that screwed it up!!

Now that John Baltutis was kind enough to show me how to get beyond the
gray screen and back to the desktop, I just need a way to get it to
recognize either OSs' startup CD so that I can scrub the HD and do a
clean install of OS 10.2.8 and end this long nightmare!!

Short of taking a magnet to it I am stuck and I have repeatedly tried
restarting with both OS CDs and it will not see them as Startup CDs and
goes back to 10.2.8 and boots up nicely.  Even inserted the original
10.2 CD and tried to make it restart it by trying to re-install the OS
but it goes back to 10.2.8.

Wits end and getting hairless,

Dan