[G4] Wear on Extra HD

Jamie Pruden m3gunner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 13:27:25 PDT 2007

Hi John,

Here are the "raw" numbers for each, but you'll never see this speed
on any of these interfaces. ;)

I'm converting all of them to megabytes per second...

On Apr 24, 2007, at 12:44 PM, John Niven wrote:

> Does anybody have any idea how the speeds compare
> between:
>
> SCSI U160
U160 is rated at 160 MB per second.

> ATA66
66 MB per second

> SATA 1
1.5 Gbits per second converts to 187 MB per second. Overhead drops
this to 150 MB per second, but it's rare to see this speed.

> Firewire 400
400 Mbits per second equals 50 MB per second

> Firewire 800

800 Mbits per second equals 100 MB per second.

> They are all specced in different ways....

Note that many of these are burst rates... that is, the interface can
flow this, but only for a very short time.

If you look up the following terms on Wikipedia, you'll get more info
than you'll ever want:

SCSI
Ultra SCSI
FireWire