[G4] Mac Mini software on G3-G4

Jonathan I. Nori jin at destinyimage.com
Tue Apr 24 19:33:29 PDT 2007

macsonly at brightok.net wrote:
> mike spellman wrote:
>> Re: Those that are trying to install OSX from a mac mini disk onto a G3
>> or G4.
>> OSX for mac mini is for the x86 processor and the G3-G4 machines have a
>> Power PC processor so the software is incompatable.
>>

> It better not be x86, I'll take my mini out and get to work with a
> sledge hammer. I didn't spend 400.00 to run a pc.
>
> Oh! I'm OK, rechecked MacTracker my 1.4 has a PowerPC G4.
>
> But it still won't work.

Yeesh, if you ever get the urge to bust up a Mini, send it to me. I don't care what processor it has inside, as long as it lets me get my work done. :)

And the Intel Mini's blow the G4 Mini's out of the water in performance.

And to actually input on your problem: Apple sometimes (read: not always), but more often with newer Macs, actually sets up the software discs that ship with their hardware to check the hardware it's being installed on.

This is to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying: Installing OSX on another Mac without buying another license for it from Apple.

Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, IBM, and others routinely do this on CD's distributed with their computers.

Try a retail version of OSX. I'd bet money that it will work just fine.

Jon  :^)