[G4] MDD no start, grey screen, no bong

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 11:38:37 PDT 2007

I have the same model Mac as yours and what you are describing has happened to me twice.  The first time I opened it up, removed the hard drives and the battery to check the voltage.  While it was still open I plugged it in and hit the power button and it tried to start up ( fans running normally, etc.) but of course without a OS or monitor nothing happened.  I put everything back together and it started up normally.  I have no idea what really was the cause but I suspect letting it sit without a battery for some time while I was fiddling with the drives put things back in order. The second time I simply removed the battery and pushed the pmu switch but it took a couple of tries.  I probably didn't allow enough time at first.  Don't remember if I pushed the switch more than once.

I think that both times the trigger was a power outage of short duration while the machine was asleep.  Similar power outages while the machine was in use have never caused a similar problem.

S. Kennedy