[G4] Re: MDD no start, grey screen, no bong

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net
Thu Apr 26 11:19:24 PDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:36:18 -0700

>The power button is more than just a switch there is some brains
>built into it (actually a circuit board with a switch and various
>components on it). If there is a problem with it your machine will
>not boot.

Right, that's why I suggested it as a possible cause. My thinking is
that if it's a simple switch, i.e., spst, then the fact that anything
along the lines of a startup happens means the switch is working.
That obviously says nothing about the associated circuitry on the
board to which the button is attached. However, if the switch is dpdt
then one contact could initiate part of the startup sequence but if
the other contact wasn't "making", the whole procedure might fail.

Can I pull the FPB cable and use a older Apple USB keyboard with power key?

>Also you may want to try removing each RAM stick and
>booting with just one you could have a bad stick.

Tried each stick separately, in different sockets, and all
combinations thereof. Nothing. Also tried to boot without any memory
to see if an error is detected. The POST must not have gotten even
that far as there was no signal/beep.