[G4] Upgrading 733 MHz Quicksilver to Tiger

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 20:09:03 PDT 2007

I don't think the extra 256Mb of ram is going to make
any difference. In fact I have found that 1Gb works
fine on my Tiger machine.

As far as hard drives go I don't agree that you *must*
go for a bigger one. The old saying applies - size is
NOT important :-) (unless you need to store movies). I
have set my work G4 up to use 2 X 18Gb SCSI U160
drives in a striped raid array, for about 36Gb total.
For normal office type work it's fine (and feels very
fast). I back it up to an external firewire drive. I
like SCSI :-)

What IS important is the speed of the hard drive. A
modern (and therefore bigger) drive may offer a larger
cache, a faster rotational speed, and a faster
interface. Plus they really have become (relatively)
inexpensive. Kathi's drive could be five years old now
and depending on what percentage of "up-time" the QS
has had, maybe at the end of its life. If she intends
to keep valuable data on it then that might be another
reason to replace it.

However, the built in interface is only UltraATA/66
and the drive is already 7200rpm AFAIK so I wouldn't
expect a big improvement from a modern drive, other
than reliability. You need to either go SCSI or SATA,
via a PCI card, to get improvements.

Actually that reminds me - does anybody know of modern
software that tests the hard drives speed? They used
to be available for Classic OS's.

Anyway, that's the long way to say its not needed to
install Tiger.

John