[G4] Snapped USB port

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:39:39 PDT 2007

> On Aug 17, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Tyranny Bean wrote:
> I've done a some searching and can't seem to find a FireWire to USB adapter.
> A client of my wife was disconnecting a thumb drive from the back of the
> computer (G4 D.A. 1.2Ghz) and snapped it out from the slot. Now we're left
> with only 1 USB drive on the back and we've got the Keyboard hooked up
> through that. My wife is a professional photographer and this is really
> causing a problem with her downloading photos as most card readers require a
> power source and USB hubs don't seem to work for that. I opened up the
> machine and the ports appear to be soldered to the mother board. Any
> suggestions of how I can fix this, or at least get around it?

I think you're mistaken about most card readers requiring USB power,
but regardless, you can get powered USB hubs that will provide that
power to the card reader.

On 8/17/07, Jake Holt Photography <jake at jakeholt.com> wrote:
>  I would leave it for dead and just add a USB 2.0 PCI card. The USB ports on
> the DA are USB1, so the transfer rates are ungodly slow. I have a 1.2 Ghz DA
> as well, and I have both USB 2.0 and FW 800 pci cards that work great.

I second (or third) that sentiment.  I got an IOGear 5-port USB2.0
card from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGEAR/GIC251U/) about 2
months ago, and I'm quite happy with it.

--
Rich